Don’t think sun damage is that serious? This photo taken of a truck driver, who spent 28 years with the left side of his face towards the sun, proves otherwise.
If that’s not enough, here are 10 ‘fun’ facts and myths that might surprise you:
- Tanning – Getting ANY type of tan causes skin damage. There is no healthy way to get a tan. Any change in your natural skin color is a sign of skin damage and evidence suggests tanning greatly increases your risk of developing a skin cancer. A tan is your body’s response to absorbing UV radiation. Using a tanning bed is NOT safer than exposing your skin to the UVA and UVB rays of the sun. Exposure to the ultraviolet light from tanning beds can impact the skin in a variety of ways – including early wrinkles, sun spots or freckles and other skin problems. In one in every five Americans, this exposure can lead to skin cancer.
- Freckles – No one is born with freckles. They usually appear in early childhood and are always brown in color and flat in texture. Freckles are sun damage unto themselves and appear as the skin is exposed to the sun’s UV light. People prone to freckling are also more susceptible to more serious types of skin damage.
- Actinic Keratosis – These are often thought to be age spots but is actually a pre-cancerous skin condition. This is also why age spots should be checked yearly. This discoloration often appears in clusters on the face, neck, scalp and hands. The difference being that the discoloration of AK is surrounded by obvious red inflammation.
- Age Spots – Also called liver spots, their name is misleading as they have nothing to do with age or liver damage. This discoloration is a very severe type of sun damage that should be checked by a dermatologist annually. “Age spots” are always flat and dark brown to grey in color. Any change in color or feel should be checked immediately.
- Wrinkles – Did you know that 90% of wrinkles are caused by excessive sun exposure? As a result you should obviously avoid excessive sun exposure, wear light UV protective clothing and use a good-quality sunscreen on exposed areas.
- Short periods outdoors still count – Think again if you think you’re not at risk because you don’t routinely spend long hours outside… Dermatologists find that brief sun exposures throughout the year can add up to significant damage for people with fair skin. These brief moments can include driving with the sunroof open or walking around outdoor shopping centers during peak sun hours – between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. – which exposes your skin to damaging UV rays.These cumulative, everyday exposures are linked to squamous cell cancer.
- You can’t always get a suspicious mole removed before it turns into cancer – Sometimes what people think is as an annoying sore that won’t go away – or a mole that has changed in size or color – is really something more serious and possibly an early form of skin cancer. Since only a physician can determine whether an area of the skin is cancerous, an annual skin cancer screening is necessary to identify cancer in its early stages.
- You still need sunscreen on cloudy days – It’s a common myth that you don’t but you can still get sunburned on a cloudy day. Even under the cover of clouds, it is possible for the sun to harm your skin and eyes and cause long-term damage.
- It’s not just UVB radiation that causes skin damage – Both UVA and UVB cause sunburns and damage skin, possibly leading to skin cancer. Look for a sunscreen that provides protection from both, called “broad-spectrum.”
- Dark-skinned people need protection too – Though naturally dark people have a lower risk of getting skin cancer than fair-toned people, this does not mean they are immune to skin cancer. They should still take action to protect their skin and eyes from overexposure to the sun to prevent developing malignancies. As a result of this myth, cases of skin cancer in darker skinned people are often not detected until later stages, when it is more dangerous.
Which leads me to the following…
Avon has been pioneering creams and lotions containing SPF that protect the skin and get results for over a century (the company is 130 years old after all). So, before I go on here are a couple of their most highly rated products:
Avon Anew Ultimate Multi-Performance Cream SPF 25
This is one of Avon’s top performing and most popular anti-aging creams. Its moisturizer revives and recreates the look of youthful skin by visibly transforming multiple signs of aging.
• 100% of women showed improvement in texture, clarity, uneven skin tone and overall fine wrinkles
• Avon’s Celluvive Complex helps eliminate visible age-related damage on the skin’s surface, dramatically diminishing the signs of aging
• Formulated to help purify and breathe new life into skin cells by converting skin cells damaged by age into ones visibly more youthful-acting
• Clinically shown/tested to improve skin firmness
Use in conjunction with the Night Cream for best results.
Anew Hydra Fusion Daily Beauty Defense SPF 50
Don’t quite feel like you need an anti-wrinkle cream just yet but still want to protect your skin from the sun? The Hydra Fusion daily defense lotion has been created just for you. You can make SPF your BFF with Avon’s highest sunscreen protection in an ultra-lightweight, quickly absorbed lotion that glides on smoothly.
• Powerful antioxidants to protect from free radical damage
• Sunscreen filters provide broad spectrum protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays
Beauty From The Inside Out… How You Can Protect Your Skin From The Inside Too!!!
We can see the importance of protecting our bodies, including skin and eyes, from the harmful rays of the sun. However, most products focus on external protection. Many people are coming to find that complete protection isn’t just just external, but also internal. It’s not enough to just treat the outside but the inside as well, so you can experience beauty from the inside out (which shouldn’t be just having a great personality).
Have you ever wondered if there is something you can do, or take, to protect yourself in other ways? Well Avon has pioneered just such an answer to that question with their line of wellness products, one of which is called Espira Glow.
Avon Espira Glow is designed to render a great glow to your hair, skin and nails. The Glow range of Avon Espira promises protection against daily damage. The products are designed to protect and fight against excessive UV exposure, help in rebuilding hair, skin and nail cells and tissues as well as improves skin’s elasticity resulting in an overall youthful and beautiful appearance.
AM Protect: The Protect product is a tablet designed with ingredients to protect skin from UV exposure while helping build healthy hair, skin and nails. The Restore product is a powdered mixed with Bioactive Collagen Peptides® to stimulate your body’s natural mechanism for building new collagen for younger, firmer, healthier-looking skin.
- OptiMSM Lutein (from Lutemax 2020)
- Zeaxanthin (from Lutemax 2020)
- Organic Bamboo Shoots Extract (Orgen-SI) Silica (from horsetail extract)
Recommended use is 2 tablets daily in the morning and use in combination with PM Restore mix as part of the Beauty Inside & Out System.
PM Restore: This is a powdered mix that contains antioxidants and a special form of bioactive collagen peptides that help stimulate the body’s own natural mechanism for building new collagen, a key to healthy younger-looking skin. It contains antioxidants and nutritional building blocks that have been clinically studied to help protect skin from UV exposure while helping build healthy hair, skin and nails. Featured ingredient is VERISOL Bioactive Collagen Peptides. You simply add one packet to a 6-8 oz glass of water and take before bedtime.
It is perfect for:
1. People who want healthier, younger-looking skin.
2. Those who want better fingernail quality.
3. People looking for a beauty supplement that delivers results they can see.
Why Customers Love It:
- It is formulated with ingredients to show visible improvement on skin & nails in 30 days
- Made with Verisol which helps counteract look of aging skin
- Delicious pink citrus flavor
Cool Facts: Did you know Verisol is clinically demonstrated to enhance skin elasticity by up to 15% in 4 weeks and 20% of people that take vitamins and mineral do it for healthier aging.
So there you have it. Hopefully you found this article helpful in increasing the awareness of the importance of protecting your skin from sun damage – both inside and out.